Sunday, May 24, 2015

Cynthia L. Rodriguez: Physics: The Golden Road of Curiosity

Amazingly, physics has been that engine to further my inspiration into pursuing vast thinking and reading of science. I have produced beyond my curiosity of life itself a lot of interest in questioning: “how is it done?”, “Why is it done in that way?”, “Can it be done in another type of form or explained with a new intriguing theory?”.

During most of my free time I browse and wander through libraries and the web in search of interesting articles and documentaries that can enlighten me and allow my mind to think freely of the possibilities life holds on for us. For instance, two of my major and most asked topics in physics are the ability of finding any human-habitable planets light-years away and black holes getting along with space and time.

You might ask yourself: “why these two topics together?”, the answer to that question will be given as you read this fascinating article of a student who’s curiosity frontiers have not been found. 

Some months ago, I was able to give a presentation explaining the Second Law of Thermodynamics and in that search I found an interesting video which explained why the earth was set exactly at that distance from the sun and the moon and why does is have its own rotational movement. This video spiked my curiosity about any other habitable planets in the universe. I kept on searching (leaving out of sight the thermodynamics presentation…), and I 

found that last year, a planet within its own habitable zone was discovered. I was shocked!
The article thoroughly explained that NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope (which measures the fraction of starlight that the planet blocks as it revolves around it) had discovered a planet similar to Earth which was named Kepler-186f. This planet has only a 10% of what the Earth’s size is. Kepler-186f was localized rotating around the Kepler star. Unlike the star that is more likely known, the Sun, these groups of stars are called M dwarfs. Because these types of stars are dimmer and cooler than the Sun, the habitable zone of the habitable planet is closer to them. This star also develops slowly in luminosity, so their habitable zones remain constant for billions of years. One of the most important facts of this discovery is that it is at a distance of 500 light-years away from our planet! 

This mixed and shocking discovery lead me to re-think on time and if there would be any possible way that we can have a “shortcut” that leads us to Kepler-186f. Along with this questioning, I began to think of Einstein’s Theory of general Relativity. In it he explained that objects with huge masses cause a characteristic distortion in space and time. This gigantic mass would cause a distortion in the space’s conformation, causing other near objects to incline their direction, better known as “gravity”. 

Being this said, I asked myself if black holes can be used as shortcuts to these other planets. I mean, there could be a very narrow possibility that this can happen, but there still lies that possibility. I kept on with this doubt and discussed it with a friend of mine who is currently pursuing his PhD in Physics in UPR Rio Piedras campus. I asked him: “Even though the pull of a black hole is of an enormous magnitude, if there could be any possible way that if not us, a type of material can be used to elaborate a certain type of lens that could resist the gravitational pull a black hole produces?” In response he said: “I would not know how to answer this and if it would be possible because we are talking about a magnitude that it is millions times stronger that any human can possibly create. Those forces are so strong that even whole galaxies are rotating around them!”.

He even told me that he believed that while you kept on falling inside this black hole, you are going to see many things in front of you that have fallen first. It is like seeing the entire history of the universe, all the way from the Big Bang to the distant future simultaneously.

With all of these amazing ideas and thoughts gathered I thought of different possibilities or ideas that can be used to find a more efficient possibility in order to get to those distant habitable planets in a shorter lapse of time. I strongly propose that materials of high endurance and efficiency should be studied in order to get the best out of them and create a microscopic lens which will travel through a black hole in order to gather more information related to these phenomena. I mean, can it really be possible?

Speed of light! We should grasp more information related to it. There has to be more to it that of what we already know. Maybe there could be a possibility of studying the speed of light and modifying its behavior so that we can obtain better results for this and further questioning and investigation. I have always said that everything in this earth, even the small grain of sand has more to it than what we know of. I also question myself, if it were possible to find other worlds within worlds, how would humankind, the one that we are mostly related to, react upon such fascinating discovery?

Just remember, the limit to think lies within each and every one of us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment