Monday, April 19, 2010

A world without the Third Law of Newton

Jose L Contreras Mora


The third law of motion says whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force −F on the first body. F and −F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.  It is a simple law and it has logic.  For example if a throw a punch at a wall with a force of 8N the wall will make a force of 8N in the opposite direction, but what if this law didn’t exist, what will happen?  I have a theory of what will happened if the third law of Newton didn’t exist.

I think that if this law didn’t exist everything and I say everything in this world will change.  Lest think about for a moment that this law disappeared for some reason and lest say for example that I punch the wall with a force of 8N, but this time the wall didn’t even exert a force back at me so I will continue to break the wall and continue until  I die.  But in reality I could not even throw that punch because before I could throw it, I will fall down.  I will fall down because I’m doing a force to the ground and the ground doesn’t do a force in me so I will fall to death.  The problem with this is that at any time everything in this word is making an action without receiving a reaction.  And because of that nothing will be the same and maybe some new law will come to full that empty space that this law leave.  This law could be the Law of Contreras and it will say that for every action that has no reaction there is an counter action that has the same magnitude with opposite sign.  If you look it’s the same law of Newton, and by this I’m saying that this law has to exist for us to live.
These examples may sound funny but I have made this example for us to understand the importance of the third law.  If the third law stop existing all the law of physics will change, and so the world completely will change.  Thanks to this law things don’t move out of proportion.  It is complicated when we think of a world without this law, but the conclusion that I got was that this law have to exist for us to be alive, if is not the third law of Newton it will be the law of Contreras.  Physics is a complicated world, but if we ask ourselves question like this, we will understand the importance of this laws of physics.  When I was doing this essay my goal was to know who the world was going to be without the third law of physics and then I realize the importance of this law.  I can now say that I understand how Newton was so curious about why things fall and everything, because he wanted answers and with a lot of thinking and math he discovered awesome things that already existed.



No comments:

Post a Comment